Umpires are a vital part of the NAYB experience. North Andover Youth Baseball offers a Youth Umpire Program to train responsible teenagers as umpires. Umpiring looks good on college applications, and it's a great way to earn spending money.
After completing the training program, youth umpires will be paid to umpire games primarily in AA and AAA Minors divisions. Parents of Youth Umpires must share the commitment to assist in transportation to games. The Youth Umpires Program is open anyone who turns 13 prior to May 1st of the current year, or is 12 playing only on the Big Diamond.
Eligibility and Requirements
1. Youth Umpires must be league age 13 or be playing only on the Big Diamond
2. Must attend the free umpiring training classes held in late Feburary through April
3. Must pass the certification exam given at the conclusion of the classes
4. Must be willing and able to umpire at least 1 game a week during the spring season (April to mid-June)
Training and Support
Youth umpires are fully supported by NAYB Board of Director to ensure their involvement is a positive experience:
1. There is zero tolerance for bad behavior on the field, and all issues are taken seriously.
2. The Umpire-in-Chief is on the NAYB Board of Directors, all issues will be addressed in a timely manner.
3. Certified Greater Lawrence Baseball Umpire Association (GLBUA) and Merrimack Valley Umpires Association (MVUA) umpires run the clinics are also available for consultation on game issues.
Each Youth Umpire will receive:
- Free instruction by MBUA-certified umpires
- Free Major League quality umpire shirt, NAVYU hat, indicator, plate brush, and ball bag
- Free use of league-owned umpire equipment: chest protector, shin guards, mask w/throat protector
- Free copy of the official Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth Baseball rulebook, and NAVYU training manuals
- Free website & email list of all umpires to keep you up-to-date on schedules, situations, advice, and to help you reschedule games as necessary
Youth Umpires are representatives of North Andover Youth Baseball and are expected to wear proper attire. Umpires are required to supply their own gray dress pants with a black belt, the remainder of uniform will be supplied at no cost. NOTE - Do not purchase pants and belts until after attending the training classes, participants will be provided detailed information on what is needed.
How to Register
Anyone interested in becoming a Youth Umpire should register by logging into their account. Details on the 2022 training schedule can be found in the "REGISTRATION" tab.
For any questions, contact the NAYB Umpire-in-Chief Jeff Buxton by email (preferred) at [email protected] or by phone at (978) 886-1801.