NAYB Parents Code of Conduct
NAYB is committed to the physical and emotional well-being and safety of all of the children in its program, as well as to its managers, coaches, umpires, volunteers, and parents and fans attending NAYB events including games, practices and any other league sponsored and/or affiliated events.
NAYB adheres to essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and the core principles of: respect, trustworthiness, responsibility, fairness, caring, and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
NAYB has modeled its Parent Code of Conduct on that promulgated by the Massachusetts Governor’s Committee on Physical Fitness and Sports and the National Youth Sports Safety Foundation, Inc. NAYB has adopted its Parent Code of Conduct, inclusive of a Zero Tolerance Policy, which must be adhered to at all times, both in substance and intent, by all parents without exception as follows:
I agree that:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate in sports to have fun and develop friendships and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the manager or coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others in a timely manner.
- I will endeavor to learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, managers, coaches, umpires, officials, parents and spectators at every game, practice, or other league sponsored and/or affiliated events.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any players, managers, coaches, umpires, officials, parents, and spectators including, but not limited to, physically and/or verbally harassing, taunting, booing and otherwise in any way demeaning or insulting; refusing to shake hands; using profane or crude language and/or gestures; any other inappropriate behavior.
- I will not exhibit and/or display any behaviors, language and/or other practices that would, or even potentially could, endanger the physical and/or emotional health, well-being and/or safety of any players, managers, coaches, umpires, officials, parents and spectators.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts in a safe and respectful manner without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, managers, coaches, umpires, officials, parents and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, religion, age, or ability.
- I will teach my child that trying and doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, and make my child feel like a winner every time, just for participating.
- I will never ridicule, yell at, berate, antagonize and/or otherwise degrade my child or any other participant for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning.
- I will deemphasize games and competition in the lower age groups and place them in the proper perspective in all other groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the players ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child and/or his/her team to win.
- I will respect the umpires and other officials and their authority during games and practices and will never question, discuss, and/or confront umpires, officials, managers and/or coaches at the game field, and will take the time to speak in a respectful and civil manner to officials, managers and/or coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco, and I will refrain from their use at all games and practices.
- I will refrain from coaching and/or instructing my child or any other players during games and practices unless I am one of the official managers or coaches of the team.
- I will not incite, participate in and/or otherwise condone any unsportsmanlike conduct at any time.
- I will accept all decisions of umpires and game officials as being fair and judged to the best of their ability, regardless of whether I agree with same.
- I will act as an adult and strive to set a positive role model and example for my child and other players.
- I will not do or say anything that will cause my child to feel embarrassed, shamed, belittled, or disrespected.
I also understand and acknowledge that NAYB has adopted a Zero Tolerance Policy and agree that if I fail to abide by any of the aforementioned rules and guidelines, I will be subject to disciplinary action that could include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Verbal warning by umpire, official, manager, coach, and/or President of the NAYB
- Written warning
- Immediate ejection from games, practices and any other league sponsored and/or affiliated events
- Parental suspension with written documentation of incident kept on file by the NAYB
- Game forfeit through umpire, official and/or manager
- Parental season suspension
- Any other action consistent with the By-Laws and rules and regulations of the NAYB.
This Parent Code of Conduct is strictly enforceable at the sole discretion of the NAYB or its duly authorized representatives.
Link to Printable Document HERE